Recruitment is an interesting job; you really do meet people from all walks of life. After interviewing numerous interesting candidates it got me thinking, do people understand that meeting with a Recruiter is a job interview?
Do candidates realise how vital it is that they present themselves in a professional manner in order to secure an interview with my client?
After an meeting with an interesting candidate this morning, I thought I would run through a snippet of what I have experienced with different candidates over the years- Some of these things may sounds silly, even crazy but I guarantee if you are doing any of them, it may be what is standing between you and your dream job!
- Mini bodycon dresses or night club attire in general – sexy? sure, professional no!
- Swearing – not appropriate
- Chewing gum or eating in interview
- Jeans/ leggings / denim shorts/ thongs- save it for the beach
- Answering your phone or making calls/ texting
- Feet on desks or chairs- yes people really do this!
- Bringing your parents or partner into the interview
- Bringing your child to interview without prior warning
- Applying your make-up or doing your hair in interview
- Cracking of fingers/ neck- any body part really is awkward
- An argumentative or aggressive attitude
- Bad mouthing prior employers
- Dirty or messy presentation (unironed clothing is common)
- Biting or picking nails/ hands
- Excessive fidgeting
- Removing your shoes because they hurt
- Showing up extremely early or late without warning
- Bringing your own beverages to interview
- Asking the person interviewing you on a date – not appropriate
- Taking a photo of the interviewer without permission (even asking permission is a little weird to be honest!)
As funny this may seem, these behaviours occur on a regular basis- Don’t give a future employer a reason to mark you off their list!